World Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(Dismissed) Regional Census Act

+8
The Catham Islands
Ireland
New Tarajan
Kaevi
Arveyres
Great Eurussia
Texania
Zackalantis
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

(Dismissed) Regional Census Act Empty (Dismissed) Regional Census Act

Post  Zackalantis Sun May 11, 2014 9:46 pm

Aware of the fact that many large regions have their activity among only a few nations

Fully Aware of the fact that the World Alliance may suffer the same fate.

With the view of bringing forth equal participation.

Realizing that the arrival and depature of nations in the region or their 'seizing to exist' may cause confusion especially when they are present on the regional map.

The United Kingdoms of Zackalantis proposes the following;

1. Calls upon the parliament to appoint a nation as Census General of the World Alliance.

2. Hereby stipulates the duties of the census general of the World Alliance,
  a) To keep and updated list of nations joining and leaving the alliance and which nations among them are a part of the forums
  b) To monitor activity of nations on the RMB and the forums;
  c) To encourage inactive nations to get active on the RMB and forums;
  d) To inform the secretary general regarding nations who have left the region or have ceased to exist and are still present on the regional map;
  e) To present before the region a report every three months which must contain;
      i) The number of nations that joined and left the World Alliance since the last report    (to determine the growth % of the region)
      ii) The number of active and dormant nations in the region
      iii) The number of nations that have ceased to exist due to inactivity
  f) To send recruitment telegrams to new nations;

3. Hereby stipulates the eligibilty of a nation to hold the post of census general,
  a) He/She must have a minimum of 100 posts on the regional forums and a minimum of 75 posts on the NS forum;
  b) Must not be a member of parliament;
  c) can contest for two consecutive terms, each term lasting 3 months;

4. Hereby Stipulates the procedure for appointment,
   a) to take place by a simple majority
   b) to take place along with council and speaker elections
   c) candidates can show interest to contest on elections by simply stating the same in the parliament thread.
  d) in the event that no nation shows interest in candidacy, the newly elected president will nominate two candidates and and have the parliament vote on it.

5. Decides to remain activley seized on this matter.

Last edited by Zackalantis on Sun May 25, 2014 2:52 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : to incorporate ammendments introduced by this parliament.)
Zackalantis
Zackalantis
Powerbroker

Back to top Go down

(Dismissed) Regional Census Act Empty Re: (Dismissed) Regional Census Act

Post  Texania Sun May 11, 2014 10:03 pm

I do not approve of the "175 posts on the NS forum" thing. Most of us do not use the NS forum, and it isn't related to our region in any way, so why bother?
Texania
Texania
Potential World Power

Back to top Go down

Post  Great Eurussia Sun May 11, 2014 10:32 pm

Texania wrote:I do not approve of the "175 posts on the NS forum" thing. Most of us do not use the NS forum, and it isn't related to our region in any way, so why bother?

Agreed. We should not use the number of posts as the basis. Maybe we could just have the President to nominate a nation and then have the Council approve the nomination for the official appointment of the said nation for Census General.
If these concerns are addressed, Eurussia will support the proposal.
Great Eurussia
Great Eurussia
Superpower

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=great_eurussia

Back to top Go down

Post  Arveyres Sun May 11, 2014 10:33 pm

Texania wrote:I do not approve of the "175 posts on the NS forum" thing. Most of us do not use the NS forum, and it isn't related to our region in any way, so why bother?
Because it denotes total activity on both NationStates and the World Alliance.
Arveyres
Arveyres
Potential World Power

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=holy_patrician_states

Back to top Go down

(Dismissed) Regional Census Act Empty Official Debate

Post  Kaevi Sun May 11, 2014 10:43 pm

The first official debate term has begun, with an expiration at 00:00 GMT on May 15, 2014.
Parliament members are discouraged to voice their final vote during a debate term.

Once the debate period expires, the voting period will start immediately at 00:00 GMT on May 15, 2014. The voting period will last three days, as required by Article V of the latest World Alliance Constitution. This period will end on May 18, 2014 at 00:00 GMT.

A debate term may be renewed twice by one of two options: three parliament member requests along with approval from the Speaker or seven parliament member requests with approval from the President.

The Speaker reserves the right to dismiss any proposal deemed "not interesting" by the parliament by asking the parliament for a dismissal. This period may last 24 hours and if no parliament member objects, the proposal may be removed from the floor.
Kaevi
Kaevi
Powerbroker

Back to top Go down

Post  Zackalantis Sun May 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Arveyres wrote:

Thank You Arveyres. This was exactly what i was thinking about when i added this caluse.
I also understand why Texania and EU will have an opposition to this clause.
maybe we can improvise. we could bring the nationstates forum posts down to 25 and the regional forum posts to 100?

How about that?

Now Eurussia regarding your idea about the President nominating a nation, that is great and i will incorporate that.
Zackalantis
Zackalantis
Powerbroker

Back to top Go down

Post  Great Eurussia Mon May 12, 2014 12:05 am

Zackalantis wrote:
Arveyres wrote:

Thank You Arveyres. This was exactly what i was thinking about when i added this caluse.
I also understand why Texania and EU will have an opposition to this clause.
maybe we can improvise. we could bring the nationstates forum posts down to 25 and the regional forum posts to 100?

How about that?

Now Eurussia regarding your idea about the President nominating a nation, that is great and i will incorporate that.

I believe number of posts should not be a criteria anymore since the appointment of Census General will be scrutinized by the WA Council anyways. The length of residency will do, maybe a month in the region? How do we know? Well on the date that nation registered on the WA Forums...
Great Eurussia
Great Eurussia
Superpower

Back to top Go down

Post  Arveyres Mon May 12, 2014 12:15 am

Great Eurussia wrote:
I believe number of posts should not be a criteria anymore since the appointment of Census General will be scrutinized by the WA Council anyways. The length of residency will do, maybe a month in the region? How do we know? Well on the date that nation registered on the WA Forums...
Just to clarify, the appointment is by the Parliament as stated in the original post.

And also, why would residence matter as there are a lot of extremely active RP members that joined fairly recently, and a lot of inactive members that joined very early on.

I'm still in favour of the post count method as it shows how active a person has been on the forums in both NS and WA. I support the use of the NS Forums also as a post keeper because it could show further activity and further general RP experience, what a person of this position needs.
Arveyres
Arveyres
Potential World Power

Back to top Go down

Post  Great Eurussia Mon May 12, 2014 12:17 am

Arveyres wrote:
Great Eurussia wrote:
Just to clarify, the appointment is by the Parliament as stated in the original post.

And also, why would residence matter as there are a lot of extremely active RP members that joined fairly recently, and a lot of inactive members that joined very early on.

I'm still in favour of the post count method as it shows how active a person has been on the forums in both NS and WA. I support the use of the NS Forums also as a post keeper because it could show further activity and further general RP experience, what a person of this position needs.

If that is what you think is good, I'll be fine with that. But leave the appointment alone to the Council since it is the executive and also born out of Parliament anyways.
Great Eurussia
Great Eurussia
Superpower

Back to top Go down

Post  Zackalantis Mon May 12, 2014 12:38 am

Great Eurussia wrote:
Arveyres wrote:
Great Eurussia wrote:

If that is what you think is good, I'll be fine with that. But leave the appointment alone to the Council since it is the executive and also born out of Parliament anyways.
Now that we got the number of posts out of the way, lets talk about appointment.

in the original proposal it states that the parliament will elect the census general during the council and speaker elections. This method is the best as this speedens the process of election. if on the other hand we take your method where the president nominates it takes a very long time.
we can comprimise and do the following...
if there are no candidates who have registered for this post, the president will nominate two after his election and then the parliament can vote on it.

Another advantage of having th eparliament appoint and not the council is that, if the parliament appoints there will be a variety in opinions and the candidate chosen will be much more able and much more deserving since he will have the support of a greater number of nations.

so the forum posts counts are these
NS= 75
WA= 100
any objections regarding these?

OOC: do i edit the original post to incorporate ammendmendts or do i post an updated version of the proposal?
Zackalantis
Zackalantis
Powerbroker

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaevi Mon May 12, 2014 2:20 am

Zackalantis wrote:
so the forum posts counts are these
NS= 75
WA= 100

OOC: do i edit the original post to incorporate amendments or do i post an updated version of the proposal?

Those numbers seem fine to me.

OOC: Edit the original post.
Kaevi
Kaevi
Powerbroker

Back to top Go down

Post  Arveyres Mon May 12, 2014 2:29 am

Zackalantis wrote:so the forum posts counts are these
NS= 75
WA= 100
I think they fit nicely.
Arveyres
Arveyres
Potential World Power

Back to top Go down

Post  New Tarajan Mon May 12, 2014 6:07 am

New Tarajan fully backs this proposal.
It's interesting, and useful for the Region in order to begin making order in the problem of inactive nations.
New Tarajan
New Tarajan
Recognized Power

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaevi Mon May 12, 2014 6:51 am

Zackalantis wrote: d) To inform the secretary general reagrding nations who have left the region or have ceased to exists and are still present on the regional map;

Can we replace "reagrding" with "regarding"? Also, "exist" instead of "exists" would be a better better fit here.

Zackalantis wrote: i) The number of nations that joint and left the World Alliance since the last report (growth % of the region)

Replacing "joint" with "joined" would be more correct in this situation.

Zackalantis wrote: iii) The number of nations that ceased to exists due to inactivity

Here, "exist" instead of "exists" would be better. Also adding "have" between "that" and "ceased" would improve this statement.

Sorry if a sound overly critical, I would just like this act to as refined as possible.
Kaevi
Kaevi
Powerbroker

Back to top Go down

Post  Zackalantis Mon May 12, 2014 3:50 pm

Kaevi wrote:
Zackalantis wrote: d) To inform the secretary general reagrding nations who have left the region or have ceased to exists and are still present on the regional map;

Can we replace "reagrding" with "regarding"? Also, "exist" instead of "exists" would be a better better fit here.

Zackalantis wrote: i) The number of nations that joint and left the World Alliance since the last report (growth % of the region)

Replacing "joint" with "joined" would be more correct in this situation.

Zackalantis wrote: iii) The number of nations that ceased to exists due to inactivity

Here, "exist" instead of "exists" would be better. Also adding "have" between "that" and "ceased" would improve this statement.

Sorry if a sound overly critical, I would just like this act to as refined as possible.

The UKZ apoligises for the grammatical errors. I have incorporated the changes in the proposal.
Zackalantis
Zackalantis
Powerbroker

Back to top Go down

Post  Great Eurussia Mon May 12, 2014 7:48 pm

For me I don't think it is really necessary to elect the Census General since it is an executive position. The criteria of the number of posts will do. And leave the position to be appointed and dismissed by the Council, at will. But if you insist on having it elected, I won't oppose either :-)
Great Eurussia
Great Eurussia
Superpower

Back to top Go down

Post  Zackalantis Mon May 12, 2014 10:34 pm

Great Eurussia wrote:
For me I don't think it is really necessary to elect the Census General since it is an executive position. The criteria of the number of posts will do. And leave the position to be appointed and dismissed by the Council, at will. But if you insist on having it elected, I won't oppose either :-)
The idea behind election is to prevent partiality. For the president might choose his ally who might not be really fit for the job. Election offers are a fair and just selection.
Zackalantis
Zackalantis
Powerbroker

Back to top Go down

Post  Great Eurussia Mon May 12, 2014 11:18 pm

Zackalantis wrote:
Great Eurussia wrote:
The idea behind election is to prevent partiality. For the president might choose his ally who might not be really fit for the job. Election offers are a fair and just selection.

Yeah that is why the power of the President is only to nominate the Census General for appointment and dismissal, while the WA Council, which is also elected by Parliament, will have the final say and vote on the matter. Unlike having the position elected along side the Parliament, which for our opinion is an administrative role only.
Great Eurussia
Great Eurussia
Superpower

Back to top Go down

(Dismissed) Regional Census Act Empty Final Vote

Post  Kaevi Thu May 15, 2014 9:09 am

The first debate term has expired and the voting period will now begin. It shall end at 00:00 GMT on May 18, 2014. All parliament members are encouraged to voice their final vote of either agree, abstain, or against within the three day voting period.
Kaevi
Kaevi
Powerbroker

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaevi Thu May 15, 2014 9:13 am

AGREE
Kaevi
Kaevi
Powerbroker

Back to top Go down