World Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(Discussion) Illegal Whaling & Fishing Act

5 posters

Go down

(Discussion) Illegal Whaling & Fishing Act Empty (Discussion) Illegal Whaling & Fishing Act

Post  UnitedStatesOfScouting Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:16 am

Greetings!

The Republic of Corinthos would like to present the issue of illegal whaling and fishing, and overfishing aswell. As we all know, this is a great danger to the environment, because currently, international waters, being neutral areas, are not protected by any international law. Therefore even if some nations have passed national laws that prevent illegal fishing and whaling, it will not be enough, until it's accepted on an international level.

Therefore we propose:

A. International Whaling & Fishing Convention
The International Whaling & Fishing Convention (IWFC) would be established to oversee the management of the whaling and fishing industry worldwide, in response to the rapid decline in the population of whales from whaling, and the environmental impact of overfishing.

B. Net Regulations
Driftnets and gillnets kill thousands of whales each year, therefore we propose establishing an international ban on driftnet fishing. As for gillnet regulations, we propose to make it unlawful for any person fishing with a gillnet to leave it unattended for more than two hours.

C. Pollution
Whale and fish populations are dying as a result of pollution of the oceans. Therefore we propose that it would become illegal for any nation to dump their waste in the oceans or seas in any form.

D. Ship Collisions with Whales
Collisions with ships are a major source of injury and death for many whales. Therefore we proposed to implement a mandatory ship reporting systems. When ships enter specific whale habitats, they must report to a shore-based station. The ships then receive a message about ship striking of whales, measures they can take to avoid ship strikes, and locations of recent sightings.

E. Overfishing
Overfishing of certain areas and/or species negatively effects the environment aswell, and can even lead to extinction of species. Therefore, the International Whaling & Fishing Convention (IWFC) would, according to research and observation of certain areas and species, regulate the fishing industry in certain regions in which overfishing can pose a danger. The IWFC would release information about the areas yearly, categorising seas and species according to the Conservation Status.

Please discuss and create a final draft for this legislature discussed in the First Annual Environmental Summit. Discussion open for three days.
UnitedStatesOfScouting
UnitedStatesOfScouting
Emerging Power

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=scouting

Back to top Go down

(Discussion) Illegal Whaling & Fishing Act Empty Re: (Discussion) Illegal Whaling & Fishing Act

Post  Atrijan Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:07 am

This seems like a great bill. There's just one problem: enforcement. The only thing on here that you could properly enforce would be the tracking of ships in refuges. Honestly, this wouldn't change much, as whalers are dug pretty deep in black markets already, regardless of the legality of the whaling.

Also, I don't know if I'm allowed to put my two cents in, but...
Atrijan
Atrijan
Vassal State

Back to top Go down

(Discussion) Illegal Whaling & Fishing Act Empty Re: (Discussion) Illegal Whaling & Fishing Act

Post  Corinthos Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:58 pm

Atrijan wrote:This seems like a great bill. There's just one problem: enforcement. The only thing on here that you could properly enforce would be the tracking of ships in refuges. Honestly, this wouldn't change much, as whalers are dug pretty deep in black markets already, regardless of the legality of the whaling.

Also, I don't know if I'm allowed to put my two cents in, but...

Enforcement would be exactly how any naval-related law is enforced. Overwatching the wares of ships they unload at docks could easily determine if they trade with whale meat. Coast guards could help in this process as well. With proper zoological research, the possible and most frequent habitat zones of whales can be easily determined, and only those areas should be overwatched closely.

The Republic of Corinthos believes that this would be a great step towards environmental procection, and it can be brought through. Therefore we vote in favour of our proposal, naturally.
Corinthos
Corinthos
Powerbroker

Back to top Go down

Post  Togana Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:10 am

Togana can support this, we are even thinking about staring large nature reserves of our coast to go alone with this.
Togana
Togana
Emerging Powerbroker

Back to top Go down

Post  UK of Ireland and Italy Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:23 am

is banning whaling in international waters already illegal? if not it should be added to this bill. otherwise good.
UK of Ireland and Italy
UK of Ireland and Italy
Vassal State

Back to top Go down

Post  UnitedStatesOfScouting Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:51 pm

The only problem I see with this is we do not have any kind of listed penalty.

Discussion extended for three days.
UnitedStatesOfScouting
UnitedStatesOfScouting
Emerging Power

Back to top Go down

Post  Corinthos Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:08 pm

UnitedStatesOfScouting wrote:The only problem I see with this is we do not have any kind of listed penalty.

Discussion extended for three days.

We are open for any kind of suggestion for the penalties. Though I believe that the respective governments should decide about the penalties of breaking this rule.

The penalties I can think of is:

- paying a large amount of money, which could be used to further protect the environment
- banning the businesses that broke the rule from fishing and whaling, basically closing them.
Corinthos
Corinthos
Powerbroker

Back to top Go down

Post  UK of Ireland and Italy Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:52 am

how would you close a business? having the regional government potentially violating a nation's sovereignty by doing that couldn't end well.
UK of Ireland and Italy
UK of Ireland and Italy
Vassal State

Back to top Go down

Post  Corinthos Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:17 pm

UK of Ireland and Italy wrote:how would you close a business? having the regional government potentially violating a nation's sovereignty by doing that couldn't end well.

"I believe that the respective governments should decide about the penalties of breaking this rule."

As I've said before, the national governments should decide about what kind of penalty there is. I've merely put suggestions for that, the penalties by the national governments, there.
Corinthos
Corinthos
Powerbroker

Back to top Go down

Post  UnitedStatesOfScouting Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:38 am

Corinthos wrote:
UK of Ireland and Italy wrote:how would you close a business? having the regional government potentially violating a nation's sovereignty by doing that couldn't end well.

"I believe that the respective governments should decide about the penalties of breaking this rule."

As I've said before, the national governments should decide about what kind of penalty there is. I've merely put suggestions for that, the penalties by the national governments, there.

With this theory in place, governments who disagree with the law could issue a $1 fine and fulfill the requirements.
UnitedStatesOfScouting
UnitedStatesOfScouting
Emerging Power

Back to top Go down

Post  Corinthos Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:34 am

UnitedStatesOfScouting wrote:
Corinthos wrote:

With this theory in place, governments who disagree with the law could issue a $1 fine and fulfill the requirements.

Do you have a suggestion then, how to avoid the Scylla and Charybdis of "this is against national sovereignty" and "law without consequences"?
Corinthos
Corinthos
Powerbroker

Back to top Go down

Post  UnitedStatesOfScouting Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:44 am

Corinthos wrote:
UnitedStatesOfScouting wrote:
Corinthos wrote:

Do you have a suggestion then, how to avoid the Scylla and Charybdis of "this is against national sovereignty" and "law without consequences"?

We should place a minimum and a maximum fine or other punishment on the law, this will allow for each nation to hand out punishment as they see fit but also allow the WASC to be sure that something is being done to enforce the law.
UnitedStatesOfScouting
UnitedStatesOfScouting
Emerging Power

Back to top Go down

Post  UnitedStatesOfScouting Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:35 pm

Suggestions?
UnitedStatesOfScouting
UnitedStatesOfScouting
Emerging Power

Back to top Go down

Post  Corinthos Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:22 pm

Violating the Illegal Whaling & Fishing Act may result in:
- Civil penalties* from $10,000 up to $100,000 plus one year imprisonment.
or
- Criminal** penalties from $100,000 up to 500,000 plus one year imprisonment, and/or the closing of the company involved in illegal whaling and fishing.

*Civil penalties, as when a single person or group committed the crime, who are not involved in organised crime related to Illegal Whaling and Fishing.
**Criminal penalties, as when an organised crime group, or company is involved in illegal whaling and fishing.

Corinthos
Corinthos
Powerbroker

Back to top Go down

Post  UK of Ireland and Italy Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:33 pm

I have no qualms with that
UK of Ireland and Italy
UK of Ireland and Italy
Vassal State

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down