World Alliance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let's Talk RP

5 posters

Go down

Let's Talk RP Empty Let's Talk RP

Post  New Rhodinia Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:06 pm

So if you haven't been paying much attention to the RMB lately, we had a complaint risen about the state of the Roleplaying Act, specifically stating that it is too restrictive and doesn't encourage much independence in roleplay. Even if you don't agree with it, the RP act is nowhere near complete (we already have an amendment going!), so I thought we could use this time to talk about future amendments and such. You know, draft something here and treat it kind of like the World Assembly sub-forum.
New Rhodinia
New Rhodinia
Emerging Regional Power

Back to top Go down

Let's Talk RP Empty Re: Let's Talk RP

Post  Great Eurussia Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:07 pm

I am always open to this.
Great Eurussia
Great Eurussia
Superpower

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=great_eurussia

Back to top Go down

Post  UnitedStatesOfScouting Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:10 pm

We could add on more to it but I think the current rules look fine. As for the issue ebsotz ran into with the military, I think we should have a way for us to rp more funds to the military and growth beyond the set standards, or even the opposite, taking funds from the military and using them elsewhere.
UnitedStatesOfScouting
UnitedStatesOfScouting
Emerging Power

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=scouting

Back to top Go down

Post  Xolox Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:21 pm

UnitedStatesOfScouting wrote:We could add on more to it but I think the current rules look fine. As for the issue ebsotz ran into with the military, I think we should have a way for us to rp more funds to the military and growth beyond the set standards, or even the opposite, taking funds from the military and using them elsewhere.

This can all be done through answering issues in your country. You could roleplay your nation's answers to those issues if you wanted to.
Xolox
Xolox
Regional Power

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=xolox

Back to top Go down

Post  UnitedStatesOfScouting Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:26 pm

Xolox wrote:
UnitedStatesOfScouting wrote:We could add on more to it but I think the current rules look fine. As for the issue ebsotz ran into with the military, I think we should have a way for us to rp more funds to the military and growth beyond the set standards, or even the opposite, taking funds from the military and using them elsewhere.

This can all be done through answering issues in your country. You could roleplay your nation's answers to those issues if you wanted to.

That's something I was thinking about but that's kinda like wining the lottery. I've only gotten increase military spending like twice since I created my nation.
UnitedStatesOfScouting
UnitedStatesOfScouting
Emerging Power

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=scouting

Back to top Go down

Post  Apepistan Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:30 pm

I thinj it works both ways, I keep getting election and voting issues, those that are completel out of my rp i ignore, or bend to the lore of ny nation.
Apepistan
Apepistan
Regional Power

Back to top Go down

Post  Apepistan Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:28 am

Double post:
Like right now, I've got the issue "The nation is poor. A report from Médecins Sans Frontières has revealed that over a third of Apepistan's children are either stunted, wasted or both stunted and wasted due to abject poverty."

With 97% economy. I've also increase welfare and social aid as much as I can.
Apepistan
Apepistan
Regional Power

Back to top Go down

Post  New Rhodinia Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:10 am

Xolox wrote:

Right, but to keep our RP consistency, we'd have to resolve those issues all the same. As a result, my military spending is zero according to the calculations via the RP act; my defense force rating is negative, so how would I calculate that into WA military statistics?

Even though I don't have a military, NS still gives me issues that suggest that my military is standard size. As a matter of fact, every issue is like that; it seems to disregard similar stats, which disrupts my RP nation. My post about a general making a discovery makes no sense because I have no military to have generals in.

See what I'm getting at here?
New Rhodinia
New Rhodinia
Emerging Regional Power

Back to top Go down

Post  Xolox Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:09 am

New Rhodinia wrote:

Right, but to keep our RP consistency, we'd have to resolve those issues all the same. As a result, my military spending is zero according to the calculations via the RP act; my defense force rating is negative, so how would I calculate that into WA military statistics?

Even though I don't have a military, NS still gives me issues that suggest that my military is standard size. As a matter of fact, every issue is like that; it seems to disregard similar stats, which disrupts my RP nation. My post about a general making a discovery makes no sense because I have no military to have generals in.

See what I'm getting at here?

I would interpret that as an absence of military. Anything below zero would just be(I think) how opposed your country is to reinstating your military, based on tradition or otherwise.

If I am not mistaken, there is an issue where you can definitively disband your military, and your issues will reflect that, same as the one where you can ban cars. Until you actually disband your military, I would assume you just have an extremely useless/underfunded boyscout program acting as your military.
Xolox
Xolox
Regional Power

Back to top Go down

Post  New Rhodinia Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:37 am

Open to further discussion, but something just popped into my brain a little while ago: individual character development.

Now, I think we can all give a pretty good estimate of our governmental figures, like how they act in front of others, international speeches, etc. But wouldn't it be nice if we had a little more insight into their personalities? Likes? Dislikes? That kind of stuff. I thought the World Leaders Summit was a great example of how we could expand on characters a little more outside of the realm of World Alliance politics.

That or I just might be ignorant of the fact that other summits are going on and character development is just fine. If that is indeed the case, disregard this post Smile
New Rhodinia
New Rhodinia
Emerging Regional Power

Back to top Go down

Post  Xolox Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:58 am

New Rhodinia wrote:Open to further discussion, but something just popped into my brain a little while ago: individual character development.

Now, I think we can all give a pretty good estimate of our governmental figures, like how they act in front of others, international speeches, etc. But wouldn't it be nice if we had a little more insight into their personalities? Likes? Dislikes? That kind of stuff. I thought the World Leaders Summit was a great example of how we could expand on characters a little more outside of the realm of World Alliance politics.

That or I just might be ignorant of the fact that other summits are going on and character development is just fine. If that is indeed the case, disregard this post Smile

I think a lot of us try to describe our leaders through their reactions in newsposts and their reactions in peace talks or whatever. I think an occasional World Leader's Summit or tournament would hurt, though. I think those would be initiated by a curious player(instead of by law), though.
Xolox
Xolox
Regional Power

Back to top Go down

Post  New Rhodinia Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:30 am

Xolox wrote:
New Rhodinia wrote:Open to further discussion, but something just popped into my brain a little while ago: individual character development.

I think a lot of us try to describe our leaders through their reactions in newsposts and their reactions in peace talks or whatever. I think an occasional World Leader's Summit or tournament would hurt, though. I think those would be initiated by a curious player(instead of by law), though.

I've been trying to think of a way to do that with dialogue and description without it having to be a ball or a summit or something. Maybe it could be one big megathread where characters will have daily dialogue with those around them? Little quips like this:

Me, lel wrote:A: "What do you think of this here?" A hands B a document in the midst of a quiet night in the offices.

B looks over it curiously and puts it down firmly on the desk in front of them.

B: "You can't be serious. She'll never accept this."

A leans back in his chair, pen in his mouth and a sage-like look in his eye.

A: "It's not about whether or not she'll accept it but whether or not she gets what we're saying. I'm not about to stop on a project that I've dreamed of since I was a child just because a colleague says 'no'."

Yeah, like that.
New Rhodinia
New Rhodinia
Emerging Regional Power

Back to top Go down

Post  Apepistan Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:36 am

In the Xarax peace summit I've tried to RP my ambassador like that. That's why I used different pictures every time, according to his reaction. Very Happy

I like the idea. Very Happy
Apepistan
Apepistan
Regional Power

Back to top Go down

Post  New Rhodinia Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:40 am

Apepistan wrote:In the Xarax peace summit I've tried to RP my ambassador like that. That's why I used different pictures every time, according to his reaction. Very Happy

I like the idea. Very Happy

That's partially what I'm getting at. Like you know how we report these major decisions and how they went down? Why not post the dialogue that has to do with the before, during and after of all of it? Give some internal insight on the reasoning behind it.

Quicker example: Junius Maximus III: "You really think it's time?"

Cornelia: "It's been time for a while. I married a man who's timing and charm was legendary; I think you and I can piece together what should happen next."
New Rhodinia
New Rhodinia
Emerging Regional Power

Back to top Go down

Post  Apepistan Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:46 am

Yup!

I've been doing that with quotes in interviews for my news posts. Though it will most likely never be my ruler who'll actually get some personality though roleplay, since he only deals with military-related matters. But Lord Muhtar Tenger will certainly get more and more character as I keep RPing! Very Happy
Apepistan
Apepistan
Regional Power

Back to top Go down

Post  Xolox Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:51 am

One thing we should discuss is if there is a set time scale. I kind of want to speed through with an idea I had about a succession crises since before my current emperor was emperor(my first emperor was so beloved that, out of respect for him, it couldn't happen after his death) , but I'm not sure if he's been emperor long enough for me to kill him off!
Xolox
Xolox
Regional Power

Back to top Go down

Post  Apepistan Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:17 am

Xolox wrote:One thing we should discuss is if there is a set time scale. I kind of want to speed through with an idea I had about a succession crises since before my current emperor was emperor(my first emperor was so beloved that, out of respect for him, it couldn't happen after his death) , but I'm not sure if he's been emperor long enough for me to kill him off!

I have the same crisis about the rulers. : \
Well, not a succession crisis, but simply how long they should be around.

In Apepistan the heir(s) to the throne is serving in the army (under incognito, so he'll be treated like the rest of the soldiers), and is announced once the Ahet-Apep dies or retires from ruling.
Apepistan
Apepistan
Regional Power

Back to top Go down

Post  New Rhodinia Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:01 pm

We could speed things up and say that every week is a year and each day is an encounter a character had that can build their background.
New Rhodinia
New Rhodinia
Emerging Regional Power

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum